Wednesday 7 October 2015

Southern McGown Training - Day 3, Colour Theory

So I have now been here 3 nights and had 2 quite intense days of hooking instruction. The evenings are spent talking about the classes and hooking in general, a few glasses of wine and, if I have the energy, a bit of hooking on the piece I bought with me. Then I sleep sporadically and start again. I'm pretty tired. Then the course today was an area I am very interested in but also find it can be confusing and frustrating, because there are so many elements to colour theory.
Liz Marino taught the course. She bought an energy and passion to the material and you could tell she loved the topic and its study. She asked that I not post her teaching piece, that was based on the colour wheel, but I will say that it contained a mass of colour theory information while also being an impressive hooked piece.
After a discussion of the colour wheel, the various colour theories and the different types
of colour plans we had the opportunity to play with crayons and our patterns.
I played with complimentary colours (on the left) and triads (on the right), with
a six value colour wheel (trying to keep it simple).
The pattern is Many Worlds.
Liz had made this grey scale for us to use to determine the comparative
value of different colours.
In the afternoon we experimented with pieces of colour saturated paper, observing how
adjoining or surrounding colours effect a colour. Discussion revolved around where the
colours were on the wheel, dull vs bright, cool vs warm, saturated vs not, light vs dark, oh
I'm getting a head ache just thinking about it again. By this point I was definitely overstimulated.
The center colour is the same.
The class ended with us purchasing some of Liz' beautifully colour saturated wool.
I don't think it is a coincidence that my wool formed into a question mark.
I am however really looking forward to hooking my colour wheel rug.
Tonight we can buy wool from the teachers who have already taught their classes (5 each day and 3 trainee classes, so lots of wool available)

No comments:

Post a Comment