Friday 19 August 2016

Cruising on Zatarra 1, 2016 - Ashtabula and sail (?) to Erie

With another day of storms forecast I explored Ashtabula. The rain and the heat had meant I have spent too much time sitting on the boat or in the open air clubhouse, so in spite of the forecast, I walked up to the Marine Museum (closed because it was Monday)
Between the lake and the lift bridge it is industrial; piles of coal and gravel, railroad tracks and heavy machinery.
The Basque Bridge uses a huge concrete counter weight (the same system as a medieval drawbridge).
Up the Ashtabula river, beyond the bridge, is the domain of the Ashtabula Yacht Club and various marinas. We are one of those masts around the bend in the river.
I had walked this area last year when I was here so planned to look for the second museum I had read about and the town beach, where I was told I could get a different view of the lighthouse.
I had seen these last year and was glad to see they were still being made.
The lady who makes them was home and explained that they are just a hobby but she's made hundreds of them. She showed me her portfolio. Each one is individual and most have a story. This one is Commodore Perry.
Fortunately this one was just sold as I might have been tempted.
The Hubbard House museum was also closed. It had been a safe house for hundreds of escaping slaves, fleeing to Canada.
I think he was looking for the town beach too. Its called Walnut Beach.
Don't think he would have been welcome there.
There are a lot of "no"s for
this small strip of gravelly sand (thats a Long Point snob speaking)
but there was a different view of the lighthouse and breakwall.
Back down the hill, past some lovely homes,
to the harbour district, the tourist downtown, with its
old brick and wood painted facades and
its abundant flowers lining the street of bars, restaurants, gift shops and ice cream store, all within easy walking distance of the boats. In a different part of town there is a Walmart and the usual strip malls.
We finally got a weather window with no storms in the forecast and headed back to Erie. We had enjoyed Ashtabula but a week in this small town was long enough. I was glad I had bought knitting and rug hooking with me.
The local wildlife stopped by to see us off at the pump out dock.
It was a day of motoring on a still lake. That line of clouds is on the Canadian side.
The friends from Ashtabula had sailed from Port Dover and we all met in Erie for an evening of catching up and
then, the next day, the storm clouds rolled in again.

No comments:

Post a Comment