Tuesday 7 May 2019

Long Point - Bulldozers and birds

The same as everyone else, I can't believe how cold and wet spring 2019 has been. Cold and rain withstanding nature still provides some hints of warmer weather to come and the sand still has to get moved before the end of April.



In April, often mine are the only footprints on the sand. By May there are many more beach walkers.
Last winters erosion and this springs high water levels have resulted in high sand cliffs

and reduced beach.
The birds are back, eating me out of house and home, along with a chipmunk who has taken up residence under my walkway, to be close to the feeders.
Red-bellied Woodpecker (even though there is no red on his belly!)
I have a flock of these at the feeders every day and I haven't seen them before. White-crowned Sparrow and my bird book says they are more common in Western Canada. They summer up in the arctic so I think they are only hanging around waiting for it to warm up.
There have been 3, male Rose-breasted Grosbeaks fighting it out with the Red-winged Blackbirds. Both breeds are quite aggressive around the feeders.
I have to admit that I root for the Grosbeaks.

Even their backs are beautiful.
My daffodils are finally out
and maybe soon I will get occupants in the bee and butterfly house.

No comments:

Post a Comment