Thursday 1 December 2022

Edmonton- November 2022

 I took 2 days to get back from southwest Wales to Manchester and stayed at a hotel near the airport, in Manchester, on November 5. For those who don't know, November 5 is Guy Fawkes Night. It as a rather strange English event celebrating the defeat of an attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament.

Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Day, Bonfire Night and Fireworks Night, is an annual commemoration observed on 5 November, primarily in Great Britain, involving bonfires and fireworks displays. Its history begins with the events of 5 November 1605 O.S., when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords. The Catholic plotters had intended to assassinate Protestant king James I and his parliament. Celebrating that the king had survived, people lit bonfires around London; and months later, the Observance of 5th November Act mandated an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure.From Wikipedia.

The fireworks started at around 5pm, just as it was barely getting dark and were still going when I got to sleep around 11pm. I think the neighbourhoods must have been taking turns. I pitied the poor dogs.

The return trip was uneventful and, 2 days later, I added to my jetlag by flying out to Edmonton. Aimee and Mike had a wedding to go to in Vegas and had asked me to babysit. Chris was already out in Calgary visiting friends so we had an early Christmas celebration with the whole family.

Christmas dinner. Picture by Christine.



My 2 youngest grandchildren met for the first time.Gigi and River.

New Christmas sweaters for everyone but River.

Gifts were unwrapped, elf hats worn

and the kids ganged up on Mike.

Cigi, unused to this active a household

alternated between being unsure

and wanting to be in the thick of it.

 

Wait a minute, how did I get this photo, Iggy isn't allowed on the couch (unless no-one is paying attention!)

When we got there River was sick with a very chesty cough. By the end of the weekend, when Jason, Chris and Cigi went home and Mike and Aimee got back, we were all sick (except Mike who went to work and avoided most of the germs), so there are not a lot of photos of the following 2 weeks. We wiped noses, searched for Tylenol (unsuccessfully), kept them home from school and daycare and tried to get some sleep.

They did make lemon curd and Avery discovered he liked marmalade.


Avery got an early Christmas present from me - a shelving unit for his room as he is the age now that he likes to collect things. Current fascination is geodes so I bought him one that I had at home.

 

Rick picked me up at the airport and put up with my coughing. Dr says I have bronchitis but it is gradually getting better.

It is so nice to be home,


just Rasta and I enjoying the peace and quiet.

And in Edmonton the defense of the Christmas Tree from River begins.

No comments:

Post a Comment