Thursday 27 April 2023

Flora and Fauna

 Since I got back I have been working in the garden, trying to get a head start before I leave it again for 2 weeks.

The cold frame already has lettuce, garlic, beans and peas, germinated and growing. In pots, more beans, peas and kale.


Pansies in pots. I can't resist them, so colourful and hardy. Some on the fence and some in the front garden.

The tulips and daffodils that I planted two years ago are spreading nicely but, unfortunately, it looks like they will be at their best while I am away. Rick and Wyatt will get to enjoy them.

I hadn't realized that the Heather would be a spring flower but I like it so much that I bought another one. Also the golden Hens and Chicks. Northland Nursery lured me in again. I intended just to get native plants for the bank but picked up a couple of things for the flower beds too.

When you buy straight from the farm, you get multicoloured eggs.

Speaking of eggs; this couple thought my clothes pin basket would make a good nest. I shooed them off

but they were back again later.

I bought the basket in so they will have to continue house hunting.

Lots of activity on and around the feeders. Female Goldfinch.

White Throated Sparrow.

House Sparrow.

Red Winged Blackbird.

The colour looks like it has been painted on.

Brown Thrasher.

Less common, for me

a Red Bellied Woodpecker.

He looks like a totally different bird when you can't see his

red head.

Using his tail to balance on the suet.

Plenty of these, grey and black varieties, raiding the feeders

and the Chipmunk has returned.

 

No pictures, but I also had an Eastern Towhee under the feeder (just saw him once) and a large rabbit (I didn't see even one last year)

Off next on a maritime roadtrip with Nicky. Posting will probably be sporadic as there is a lot of driving to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment