Wednesday 22 November 2023

Arizona - Phoenix, solo tourist

 I have picked up Cigi's cough so had a very poor nights sleep. I spent the morning on the internet finding out where the art galleries are in Phoenix and how to get to them. It turned out that the main one wasn't open on Tuesday but the Heard Museum (Native American Art) was. I was even less successful figuring out the transit system so asked at the front desk. The suggestion was to buy  a day pass either from the variety store one block east or the light rail station 3 blocks west. 

As the rail station was in the direction I wanted to go, I took that option.

When I got there one of the ticket booths only took cash (I had none) and the other indicated it took credit cards but didn't work. Frustration for me and the people who followed me who couldn't get it to work either. They lost some ridership that day!

I knew I wasn't up to the walk so instead wandered back towards the hotel on side streets

Grabbed a sandwich for lunch (turned out it was big enough for supper too)

Garfield was developed from 1883 to 1955. The neighborhood was one of the first additions to the original Phoenix townsite. It is also an excellent example of a “streetcar subdivision,” where residential development was directly related to the establishment of a streetcar line through the neighborhood. from phoenix.org


I ended up getting back to the hotel and blogging then napping (something I rarely do but may have been cough related or just 10 days of over stimulation).

I felt a bit better today so headed for the Phoenix Art Museum that was open today. This time went to the Circle K and bought a Day Pass for transit. The clerk there tried to tell me which bus to catch but even he couldn't figure out the website on his phone so I just waited at a bus stop planning on "winging it". 

While waiting for the bus I finally was able to take a picture of a driverless car. We had seen a lot of them but I never got my camera out in time, until today.

 Waymo One currently operates 24/7 across 225 square miles of Metro Phoenix. Let the Waymo Driver take the wheel from Downtown Phoenix, to Scottsdale, to the East Valley. from the waymo website.

After the bus I took the light rail and with the help of another passenger got off at the right stop. Using the website was not easy, using the transit itself was very easy, however at no point was there anything to read my pass and no-one asked to see it!

Think this is the place.


No food or drink allowed inside so I had to leave my water bottle and cough candies in a locker, made for a lot of coughing in the exhibits!

 They did allow photography though (no flash) so, as usual when I visit art galleries, I have hundreds of photos to go through and decide what to post....next blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment