Wednesday, 29 July 2026

NOt the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim

2 years ago, when the whole family was in Arizona, Mike and Aimee (mostly Mike) decided that they wanted to hike the Rim to Rim in the Grand Canyon. They applied (there are limited spots in the cabins at the bottom of the canyon) and received a confirmation that they could do the hike the third week in July, 2026. I was booked to babysit the kids.

Then things happened: there was a huge fire that destroyed the lodge on one side of the canyon where they would have stayed to start the hike. So they made arrangements to stay elsewhere and a friend offered to join them to drive them there. Then the government changed the entrance fees for non-Americans, adding $1,000s to their trip. They cancelled, but still wanted to do a significant hike. So they decided to do  Crypt Lake Trail in Waterdon Lakes National Park. I was still booked for babysitting duty.

From the website: 

National Geographic recently rated Crypt Lake as one of the World’s 20 Most Thrilling Trails! An exciting 15 minute boat ride** across Upper Waterton Lake brings you to the trailhead at Crypt Landing. The trail passes 4 spectacular waterfalls: Hell Roaring Falls (1 km), Twin Falls (3.5 km), Burnt Rock Falls (5.6 km) and Crypt Falls, (8 km) which is approximately 600 ft. tall. A highlight for many is the steel ladder and 60 foot tunnel through the mountain. After a short maneuver around a cliff (with cable for added security), hikers arrive at beautiful Crypt Lake. Towering cliffs surround the lake on all sides

 Distance: 17.2 km / 10.7 mi (return)
Elevation Gain: 700m / 2300ft.
Rating: Difficult
Hiking Time: 5-8 hours

I had one day at the house in St Albert before we set off. Time to enjoy Mike's "hobby farm" with his fruit trees (2 apple, 2 pear and 2 plum),

 
quail (quite a small flock at this point, just 11 layers, but good egg production)

rabbits (this is Luna, who is probably pregnant, so baby bunnies in the future)

 

(Zeus, the daddy). Moon, the second female, was in the garage along with a pen of male Quail who wont be around much longer.

and a massive, overgrown raspberry patch.

Which yielded plenty of berries for breakfast and to go in the freezer.

Every time I visit there is a request from Avery or Maya to paint them something of their choice. Avery usually wants me to paint a character from one of his video games.

This was his selection this year. I hadn't bought my paints with me as I didn't think I would have time to paint, but, using pencil crayons I got it (him?) finished just before the return flight.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment