Friday 2 August 2013

Long Point - Growing in sand continued.

I have posted pictures of the yucca and the ditch lilies already. They are by far our most prolific plants. There are others flowering now worthy of mention.
The yucca have now completed flowering and have formed large bumpy
 seedpods on their huge stems
These are hybrid day lilies that I transplanted from the Paris garden. They are having their best
year yet, must have loved the wet spring. Each flower lasts longer than the ditch lilies and has far more petals.

The other plant that grows surprisingly well in sand is Hostas. They could not be further from their natural, woodland habitat than they are here, but they still grow and flower, though admittedly not as lushly as they did in the shaded soil of our Paris garden.

The bed in the middle of the circular driveway gets occasional shade and I tip some of the soil from previous years containers in here. This is not, therefore growing in pure sand but the ground is still mostly sand. Here I am able to grow some Brown Eyed Susans, Daisies and Purple Cone Flower, all I believe from the same family. I do have some planted in the sand, on the dunes, but they struggle for a year or so and then give up.
One of the things that I love about living here is the vast expanse of sky. It was one of the things I loved about the prairies too, when we travelled there when the kids were young. But here there is the added bonus of the water and the effect the sky colours have on the water colours. I couldn't resist taking a photo of this cloud formation one evening.


No comments:

Post a Comment