Thursday 27 November 2014

One year later

George died one year ago today, actually it was on the Wednesday at 4am. He had this thing about marking the day rather than the date. For instance he liked to celebrate our anniversary on the Friday closest to June 26 as we got married on a Friday evening. So, obviously, the whole week has been a bit rough. Family and friends have been very thoughtful, checking in with me, making sure I'm Ok.
The gravestone finally was installed in September. I chose the sailboat in front of the lighthouse
because George loved to sail across the lake and took pictures of the Long Point Lighthouse every time.
To commemorate George, and his love of sailing, and racing in particular, we commissioned an award in his name. It was made by Jack Worton who lives on Long Point, near-bye, and George would often go and visit him as he could be counted on to be working on a sculpture in his workshop.
This is how it started, just a block of stone.
A simple line drawing on to the stone.
The finished sculpture that Jack placed on soapstone waves and then on to a wood base.
The name of the award was put on by a local trophy shop.

George and I took our White Sail course for our first wedding anniversary. We bought the Laser (now with the Port Dover Sailing School) the following year. He sailed the Laser every summer. We took our Basic Cruising in Toronto Harbour and then started sailing keel boats. I cant remember when he started sailing with the PDYC race division but the oldest Interclub shirt he had was 2005 and I think it was a couple of years before he did that. He sailed and raced on many boats so it seemed fitting for the award to go to an Outstanding Crew Person with the Port Dover Yacht Club Racing Division.
The first recipient was Mark Boerkamp. He crews on Ritual and has also coached and otherwise contributed to a number of other boats this season. It was awarded at Sailors Night in October and I am very thankful that Simon was able to make the speech and do the presentation. I would have been unable to and I know he found it difficult.

1 comment:

  1. To help with timing: The summer of 2003 was right after I graduated High School before I moved to Ottawa to go to Carleton, and I don't think he was going to Dover in the evenings then to sail. So maybe the summer for 2004?

    ReplyDelete