Sunday 27 December 2015

Peru 2015/16 - Cusco - Domingo - walkabout.

I left home at 6am yesterday and got to my hotel at 6am today, literally 24hrs of travel. Toronto to Miami was delayed so I had a mad dash from one side of sticky, hot Miami airport to the other but made the connection. Miami to Lima was fine but unfortunately my bag didn't make it. The LAN official said that the US security had decided to search it but it would come on the next flight. Guess they didn't like the look of my trekking poles in the X-Ray. Had a massage in Lima airport and a nap then the hop to Cusco. On that flight I realized that I had never been in South America before, Southern Caribbean being the closest. Descending into Cusco airport is quite exciting with the mountains all around. The G-Adventures employee was there to greet me and take me to the hotel, so nice.
A short nap and then I got outside and walked around a bit. Rain was in the forecast but it was  warm and occasionally sunny all day.
There are sculptures, often involving water, everywhere.







The buildings around the hotel are 1 or 2 stories with ornate balconies (Spanish) or single story with a large door. These look more like the ones we saw in Mexico and they quite often showed a bland face to the road with ornate, pretty courtyards behind.
About a block and a half took me to Plaza des Armas, the central square.
Dominated by the Cathedral on one side
and the Church of Jesus' Companions on another.
There was a sign asking tourists not to enter during services so I saved that visit for another day. The square, and all the other squares I walked in today, were teeming with Peruvian families more than tourists. Dressed up for Sunday and many carrying food or flowers (perhaps going to an extended family meal)

Many of the families were also carrying these embroidered little cradles (these were for sale by the Cathedral) or little wooden carved chairs with elaborately dressed dolls in them. (too church? an altar at home? gifts?  I really don't know but am curious and will try to find out) 
Joseph in the almost life sized nativity scene in the square
Central fountain made into a Christmas ball
topped, I'm assuming, by an Inca king.
The internet at the hotel is pretty slow to load up pictures so the posts from here wont be as "picture rich" as I would like. I am just going to post a few more from my day of wandering.
Mountains are in the background of every view, climbed by houses.
Flowers in the square look like snap dragons.
A political rally in one of the squares I visited.
Few strollers, babies and toddlers are carried around.
There are plenty of people trying to sell tourists stuff: carved gourds, little yarn dolls, woolly hats and mitts, jewelry and "art students" with portfolios of paintings as well as people selling guided tours and those wanting to show you their restaurants menu. They take a few "non gracias" to convince them but all are friendly and want to chat anyway (where are you from, you look at my stuff tomorrow, promise).
A llama for photographic opportunities
My first sighting of the Peruvian delicacy: Roast Guinea Pig
I'm not sure if it is the altitude, repercussions of the travel day or a bit of both but I have a slight headache, am very tired, have no appetite and just feel a little foggy. I have napped three times today, between going out and walking around, had a couple of cups of coca leaf tea and drank lots of water. Hopefully a good nights sleep will set me right.

1 comment: