Saturday 23 January 2016

We interupt this Peru programming for some updates.

It has taken me quite a while to do the Peru posts. This is mostly because I have so many pictures to choose from (Danny and Fiona took at least 500 and I took 100s too), some of it is because the internet has not always been co-operative (rural internet!) and some because I have had a hard time figuring out my reaction to the trip (I will do a post about that too). In the meantime life goes on at Long Point.
Last weekend was one of our regular biannual (not really that regular but we try to be) hooking weekends. Unfortunately Peggy, Lynn and Leslie couldn't make it but Heather, Pam and Pat did. As usual we ate well, drank in moderation (yeah right!), chatted up a storm and hooked and knitted for 2 days. I needed the peer support to get me hooking again as I had not picked it up since before Christmas and have 2 projects that I want to complete for the OHCG Annual.
Pat is between hooking projects so was working on this colourful, lacey shawl/sweater.

Pat also helped me with a dying project which was a real learning experience for me. I have dyed in the past but not with any kind of enthusiasm or desire to learn enough to do it myself but now I am finally ready to get into it. Pat predicts I will get hooked. I loved the colours of the wool we dyed but it is not close to the wool we were trying to match. Pat has offered to try again at home, so kind.
Heather finished this little mat hooked with veragated wool. Swirly in the centre and a straight line border.
Then she moved on to another Santa, this one with a tree.
Pam was working on another variation of her wiener dog pattern.
Aside from the dying and working on whipping a hooked cushion, I had  Pam there so she also helped me with a knitting pattern involving cabling.
It has been 2 weeks of very variable weather at The Point and I have to admit I have been a bit of a hermit. After all the exertion in Peru I have given myself permission to be lazy and the weather has given me added excuse but today was lovely so I had to get out and walk the beach.
Sunny, about -4, a light North West wind, lovely.

The late fall and early winter storms have blown up a lot of driftwood.
The topography is in layers. Wind and sun have again exposed the sand on the beach.
Next comes an area of ice and sand "boulders"
Then a stretch of relatively flat ice, frozen in ridges, like waves.
A low line of ice hills and then a mass of ice chunks pushed together to make a solid mass.
The day that this section was formed it was cold and there was a breeze from the South West. It pushed all the ice floating on the lake in to the shore, where it froze together.
Next there is the most impressive section. More wind and waves break over the ice edge and form mountains of frozen droplets. Some are as high as 15ft.
The volcano look alikes are formed when the waves push up from below and break through the hole, looks like a geyser.


I am not usually appreciative of winter. I consider it a season to be escaped but on days like today I am reminded how beautiful it can be and love the diversity of this location.

No comments:

Post a Comment