Friday 1 December 2017

More experiments with the camera - shutter and auto

There are not many fast moving things at Long Point in November to test the impact of a fast shutter speed. I did try one day when I was burning leaves
but the leaves were wet and I just got pictures of smoke. Not a good test to see if it will capture a speeding lion or antelope.
I have concluded that leaving the camera on Auto is probably going to give me good pictures and that I am unlikely to get good enough at switching to the shutter and aperture controls by January to make it worthwhile. The rest of the photos in this post were taken on Auto.
We have been getting our usual late fall wind storms. Sometimes the wind howls so loudly that I sleep in the room at the back of the house.
Milkweed in the evening light.
Nic and Dave's camera has an excellent zoom. I could never get this shot with my "point and shoot".
It responds well to pointing directly at the sun
and also has good results in very low light.

Not exactly an antelope but I scared up some seagulls to practice taking photos of moving creatures.



I found it quite difficult. I was using the viewing screen tilted in such a way that I could look down at the camera and up at the birds. There is a switch so I can use the traditional viewfinder so I will have to see if that is easier on a moving target.

1 comment:

  1. Great shots! I love the one of the milkweed. We need to start practicing with our new camera more.

    ReplyDelete