Monday 22 October 2018

Buffalo Girls continued

I love to wander an art gallery by myself, taking my time, moving to those works that appeal to me, but taking a guided tour adds to the experience. It is an education, things are pointed out, explained, stories shared. I am invited to look at works that I might have passed by. The volunteer who was our guide encouraged all of us to talk about the paintings and always had something interesting to tell us. After the  tour she even offered to take any of us interested into the rest of the gallery and I was one of those who took her up on it.

Waterdrops, by Kim Tschang-Yeul, was so realistic I wanted to reach out and touch the water. It was an oil painting.
Pumpkin by Yayoi Kusama had its own room.

I had wanted to see her exhibition at the AGO but hadn't been able to find the time.

George Washington and Three Indians by John Wesley.

Translumina 2 by Richard Joseph Anuszkiewicz


One of the identification labels explained "Op Art refers to the work of a group of artists who emerged in the 1960s who were interested in the scientific properties of color and line,  and the ways in which the human eye processes information"


Vega-Nor by Victor Vasarely who was considered "the father of Op Art".

Untitled by Donald Judd was more about the play of light and shadow than the structure itself.

At first glance I thought this was string art

but no, Focos de Luz by Migual Angel Vidal, is acrylic on canvas.


 As we were still with our tour guide she arranged for us to get some gloves and we were invited to play this piece and couldn't resist. Those are Heather's hands in the video.

That evening we ate at a restaurant, Dick and Jenny's, run by a couple from New Orleans and enjoyed our cajun meals and the friendly, lively vibe of the place.

No comments:

Post a Comment