Thursday 24 January 2019

4th week at Flipside

Monday evening was spent helping with the interview process for the cafe staff. Over 100 had applied online and Chris had weeded that down to 24. 22 were scheduled to arrive, at the cafe, at 5 minute intervals. I greeted them and asked them to fill out a questionnaire and provide a resume and references, then they moved on to Taylor who instructed them how to froth milk at the espresso machine and drizzle over the donuts. Jill then had them mix batter for the donuts. Mainly these 2 were looking for willingness, ability to follow instruction, precision and cleanliness. Finally they had a brief interview with Chris. 14 people showed up and after a brief comparison of impressions there was a consensus on hiring 7. Next references had to be checked and then positions offered. Training will start Feb 6 - its really moving along.
Tuesday I went shopping for kitchen stuff. I had a list of things from Taylor, the chef. Some I recognized (mixing bowls, spatulas ....), some I did not (ISI chargers, tart pans), but an assistant took me around the huge store on Spadina and helped me fill my trolley. If I ever need anything for my kitchen that is the place to go they have everything you could even imagine needing!

The rest of the day was spent checking on the kijiji ads and putting together the furniture that had been delivered. Chris had ordered a small number of each so she could decide whether she liked the colour, sturdiness and comfort before ordering more.
She loved this large trestle table and will probably order a second. One of the things that happens in cafes in Toronto is business meetings and this would be ideal for 4 to 6 people to sit around with their laptops and have their meeting (with donuts and coffee)
Wednesday morning I painted the other section of the kitchen floor. The electricians had been in all day on Tuesday but were not coming back until Thursday giving me a brief floor painting window.

No comments:

Post a Comment