Sunday 31 January 2021

Walking Hadrians Wall

In and effort to motivate me to walk, I signed up for a virtual challenge through Conqueror. I am virtually walking Hadrian's Wall:


After I walk, I enter the information into the app on my phone

 
and it shows me on a map how far I have gone. England is 90 miles across at this point and I have given myself 2 months to complete it.


On the map I can see that there are others walking and periodically a postcard is sent to my email with a description of the area and it's history.

 

It is working, I am walking unless it is really brutal outside.

Walk towards Port Dover and I found that the people who live in the Dover Coast development (beside the golf course)


have a patio they can use in front of David's restaurant.

In the other direction, this old beauty. Old license plate is from North Dakota

Rick did some research and found that it is a 1958 Chev. (nearly as old as me)

On the way to walk Long Point Beach, ducks, swans and geese


on both sides of the Big Creek bridge.

Ice starting to form on the shore

A variety

of ice

formations

and a lonely Mallard standing on the tiniest ice flow.

After a Lynn Valley Trail walk with Si, Dan and Ruby

I walked on Port Dover pier. There were 2 Bald Eagles fishing just beyond the lighthouse but I didn't get my phone out in time.

Along with the usual Mallards

there were a couple of other species (Merganser?, no idea about the black and white one)

Unlike the Mallards

they were camera shy.


Cold nights and no wind

lets ice start to build up on the bay

but the wind today broke it all up.

The bank down to the water is prime hunting ground and the hawks glide on the updrafts or perch in the trees.

This Downy Woodpecker stunned herself on my front window but didn't take long to recover and fly away. I will have to put stickers on those windows too.

I have been getting daily baby pictures from Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment