Tuesday 12 July 2022

PDYC Sailing School - Adult Keelboat Course

 I have started volunteering with the Sailing School, specifically helping with the Adult Keelboat Course. Mostly this involves helping with the registration, some minor work on the boat and monthly committee meetings.

Last weekend it involved taking pictures of the boats for the website.

We set off from the yacht club on Shaibu. Hadley, who owns Shaibu, Earl Hartlen, a local photographer and journalist and myself.


Past the variety of watercraft moored along the river.

Under the lift bridge

and out into the basin to plan a few shots and wait for the boats involved in that weekend's course to make their way down the river.

Hadley was specifically looking for photos in front of this building.

I preferred pictures that included the lighthouse.

It was a perfect day, blue sky and a north wind (so few waves).

The photos were for advertising purposes so it was important to get pictures with the sailing school banner in them.

Once out of the harbor we got pictures of the students getting the sails up

and then under sail.

Eight students for this, 2 weekend, course, on 2 boats, with 2 instructors.

Genesis II is owned by the sailing school

and Belafonte is owned by one of the instructors.

In total I took nearly 300 photos and whittled it down to about 20 that I will put on a flashdrive for Hadley to use on the website if he sees fit. He will also be getting the photos that Earl took (with a much better camera and much higher skill level)

Coming back in, I quickly flicked the camera on to "sports" setting to get some gulls in flight

and "high dynamic" to deal with deep shadows.

Then I went home and did some playing

with the "macro" setting.

Talking with a professional photographer

Had made me want to get to know my camera better, rather than just using "Automatic" all the time.

My favorite, a Sunflower bud.

No comments:

Post a Comment