Tuesday 17 June 2014

Growing in Sand - winter kill recovery and new plants

I posted earlier on the effects of this harsh winter on the plants on my property. They are slow to grow anyway, except the yuccas, but this winter was a tough one. Surprisingly, all I have lost is George's apple tree (which was a bit of a long shot anyway) and a lupin that I had transferred here in a pot from Paris ( it had survived 4 years).
The High Bush Cranberry, that was eaten to the ground, is looking quite healthy with
new growth.
The oak tree that had been chewed almost all the way around, has fresh leaves and a lot of suckers growing from the base as well (perhaps a reaction to the abuse). After seeing a presentation given by the owner of Eisings Nursery, called "Shades of Green", on some new drought tolerant plants, I had to try them. So Sharon and I went to Eisings, which is a lovely place to visit anyway.
I think this one is called Thunder and Lightning. It has colourful green and yellow foliage and deep
burgundy flowers. It has been in the ground for nearly a month now and is thriving. August will
be the test.
This is a Pincushion flower. Much more subtle in colouring than the previous one but also thriving.
A Mango Poker. The flower is almost done now, a month later, but was impressive. If this
survives there are lots of  colour varieties to choose from.
The vegetable garden is also in full swing, though not "growing in sand". I have Kale and salad greens that are taking over (and I can't keep up with), Swiss chard, green peppers, regular and cherry tomatoes, zucchini, basil, snap peas, pole beans and 2 different kinds of bush beans, all in 2, 4ft by 8ft beds. Its going to be a little crowded.

Rasta has become a "bag cat":
Investigating a bag that Chris gave me, part of my birthday present. It has pictures of a girl
and a cat in yoga poses.


And to end; evening on the beach after a summer storm:


No comments:

Post a Comment