Saturday 20 June 2015

Strawberries = summer

I love strawberries. Fresh and warm out of the field is best. The look like summer. They smell like summer and they taste like summer. I picked this week at a farm along the Front Road where I also buy asparagus, peppers and garlic at different times in the season.
The asparagus field, across the road from the farm, is now left to grow and go to
seed. Gaining strength for next years harvest.
It was about 20 degrees with a pleasant breeze and I was the only one in the field, perfect!
Bees were buzzing in the clover scattered through the strawberry patch. I like to think that
they produce the local honey I buy - Hunts Honey.
My row.
Picking was easy. I had bought a mat with me to kneel on and could almost pick a
quart without moving.
At the end of a very pleasant half hour, 10 quarts of strawberries. I now have 10 packages
of frozen strawberries in the freezer and they will keep me in smoothies ( with the
blueberries and cherries I will freeze later) for the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment