Wednesday 27 July 2016

More AGO

After the Lawren Harris exhibit I just wandered in the AGO for another hour. I skipped the European collection and stayed in areas of Canadian artists.
Each of the paintings in the Harris display were identified with a little card; title (though some were "untitled"), date (some had a date range) and medium. There was also text with commentary regarding the location, resources he used, relevance etc. In the rest of the gallery the information provided was not as accessible. Often there was no card beside the work and I had to look through a brochure, usually at one of the doors, to identify the painting I was interested in and get the basic information from that. Sometimes there was more than one artist represented in the room and as some pieces were unsigned I was left guessing which artist was the creator. Occasionally I have found this at other galleries but I find it frustrating that the onus is on the visitor to find the information rather than the facility making it readily available. So I am going to include some pictures here that don't have artists names attached because I took pictures of the info provided and when I look back at them find that some didn't list the artist in the place I took the picture.
For example
My apologies to the artist. His or her name must have been somewhere in the room or on the front of the brochure. It was one of the Group of Seven.
There were some more Lawren Harris that hadn't made it into the special show.
So I took some more
close-ups to look at technique.

This is a sketch by Franklin Carmichael. He signed everything, even his sketches.
"North Shore, Lake Superior" another Frank Carmichael.
I took a quick break from the paintings to look at the buildings architecture. This area overlooks Dundas St and has a coffee shop.
"Snowfall", Tom Thompson
Sketch of "The West Wind", Tom Thompson. I love seeing the original of paintings I recognize and this one is so well known.
"The West Wind". This completed painting was on Tom Thompson's easel when he died.
'Bess" by Lawren Harris (I would never have guessed)


My mother-in-law had a print of this painting in her bathroom. It is now in my bathroom. "After the Bath" by Paul Peel who was born in London Ontario.
I headed west on Dundas St
through Chinatown and TTCed (its now a verb) my way home.
Two was not impressed with the Lawren Harris calendar I had bought. Not soft enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment