Saturday 3 August 2019

Long Point - August update

I have had a week to recover now Mike, Aimee and the grandkids (and everyone in the family visiting) have gone home. All the laundry is done and sand swept out of the cottage (and the shower, bathtub, cushions, rugs etc etc).

I went for a bike ride and found that I could not go down many of the roads as they were blocked by water. The lake levels have not gone down and we have had some wicked rain storms to add to the problem.
In addition people have been directing their sump pump hoses out to the roads.
Water has been regularly coming up over the channel walls and cutting the lawns has been impossible.
Out at the Old Cut Marina docks had to be raised and the boat ramp flooded into the street. The wires were covered in swallows
teaching their young to fly.
In my garden the "ditch lilies" are nearly done
and the more showy hybrids are taking over.
Anything daisy-like does well in the sand
and I have become better at spotting the different varieties at nurseries.




In the vegetable garden the lettuce and radishes are over, I am still picking (and freezing) kale and am now harvesting cherry tomatoes (can't keep up with them) and green and purple beans.
The hibiscus loves being outside for the summer
and the pansies had finally let me know it was too hot and humid so I replaced them with fuchsia.

No comments:

Post a Comment