Sunday 1 September 2019

Summer winding down

High water levels and gale force winds aside, this has been a lovely summer for me. I was at the cottage most of the summer and had lots of company. The weather was warm, the water was (finally) warm and soon it will all cool down again, the beach will be deserted and the wildlife will return.

The lake can change from still and glass like to raging and rough
and then back again, all within a day. (Photo by Brit)



Resulting in some neat sand and water patterns. (Photo by Brit)
Speaking of sand .... the Bayfest Sandcastle Competition was held on the beach in front of my place.
There were 10 groups of contestants
and I was told
that they were competing for
10 prizes, luckily.
Over the last week I have sanded down, stained and verathaned the little table that I bought in a garage sale in Maine, 2 years ago. Glued and screwed the whole thing back together. The top turned out beautifully as it had been in very rough shape.
I have just spent a very pleasant half hour reliving my trip to Maine in Oct 2017 to find a picture of the table when I bought it as I forgot to take a "before" picture this week. It looked like it had spent the last years of its life in a rather damp out building. Certainly no-one had loved it for many years.

When I bought it ($10 US) I thought it would go well between the 2 armchairs but it may be a bit too big and a bit too high. That is were it is sitting for now and I will see how it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment