Thursday 9 July 2020

A late launch

After much thought, personal debate and public discussion, Mark decided to launch Caleidoscope this summer even though there is no official race season.

She was waiting for us, on her winter cradle, in front of the marina office, when the launch crew arrived. The official, paid, launchers and those of us who had volunteered to help; Brian, Dieter and myself.

A trailer picked up the cradle and moved it to the ramp using a "tractor",
while Mark attached the wind instruments and antennae to the top of the mast.
This is the scariest part, as far as I am concerned,when she is lifted up of her cradle and hangs there, suspended,
before being maneuvered over and gentle deposited in the water.
The motor started up straight away (sigh of relief) and the next stop was the fuel dock
to get the mast put on. Mark had to connect all the wiring for the instrumentation at the base of the mast before it was settled into place and then the forestay, backstay and shrouds all had to be connected and tightened to hold it there.
So nice to see her in her element
and in her slip. We toasted this sailing season with a beer (I had a water).
Whenever we bring Caleidoscope in to her slip we say "Don't hit the blue boat", its part of the ritual. The "blue boat", Sugar Bay, Deiter and Maryanne's Bayfield, has been in the next slip over for many years, but this year they have sold her. Sad to see her go, down the Welland canal to her new home in Whitby. Deiter says he will continue to sail but now in a dinghy, closer to home. Another new chapter.

No racing this year but hopefully some "physical distance" sailing. I would be happy to hang out at the bow, 30ft away from the skipper.

Driving home I took this shot. I really like wind turbines and enjoy that I can see them when approaching my new home. I will be able to see them from my front porch in the winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment