Wednesday 21 April 2021

Hooking news.

 After the last lockdown I started teaching three local women who were interested in learning how to rug hook. I had been putting them off since last November, waiting until it felt safer to have strangers into my home. When it we were out of lockdown we started, with them seated 6 foot apart and all of us wearing masks. They were in their own bubble but we played it as safe as we could. I designed 4 little mats and they chose which they wanted to hook. 2 chose a lighthouse and one a sunflower. There were the usual struggles with loops pulling out, uneven loops, shredding wool and the search for a comfortable hooking position but after 4 weeks, 2 had completed theirs with whipping and binding or backing and were "chomping at the bit" to start another project. I had just intended to do a 4 week beginner course but they were so enthusiastic and one spoke of how she never sits still but found herself happily relaxed while sitting and hooking. Then came word of another lockdown, to start on Saturday. We met on Friday and scrambled to get the next project started.

Pattern decisions had been made by email and I had prepared the backing ahead of time but our 2 hour class went overtime as we put patterns on backing, colour planned, searched in my stash and then cut enough to get them started.

If more wool needs to be cut I will put my cutter on the front porch. We will start meeting again when out of lockdown. I had forgotten how much I enjoy teaching and this little group are a delight.

The Lancaster Bomber from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, in Hamilton, flew out into the Bay and flew circles around a flair in the water. Practice? Pilot training? No idea.

I finished the Geometric Landscape that I designed for Susan Clarke's "Geometrics Workshop" and am in the process of making it into a cushion.

I usually do a post on the OHCG Annual. It usually involves a group of hookers piling into 1 or 2 cars/vans with the rugs to be displayed from JJ Ruggers, our own hooking supplies for the weekend and plenty of wine, snacks etc. Then we have a weekend of fun and inspiration with the displays, workshops and vendors plus time spent hooking and eating out together. I have been doing this every spring for more than 20 years. An email circulated just before the virtual conference and we all spoke of missing the friendship and fellowship that usually accompanies this event. I spent all day on the couch watching, and enjoying, the speakers and displays but this was my big excitement:

I always enter at least a couple of pieces to be judged but this is the first time I have won. In the Alternative Fibres Category, my "Peach Stones" piece. Based on a RHF pattern "Stained Glass Pieces" that I started on the weekend that Brit was teaching Nicola and Eve how to applique in quilting and me how to attach stones. It has beach stones attached, appliqued wool and leather, hooked yarn, wool and leather, some embroidery stitching and is mounted on a metal ring. It is one of my favorite pieces and hangs in my front hall.

It has also been lovely to get the congratulations from friends, family and fellow hookers via email, phone and facebook. 

Ending with birds and baby:

A Brown Thrasher

under the birdfeeder.

Cigi. Professional photo session in Ottawa, by Chris and Jason's friend Stephanie. Stephanie Beach Photography.


I was able to visit, virtually, while they were there.  Photo by Stephanie Beach Photography

Photo by Stephanie Beach Photography

Phot0 by Stephanie Beach Photography.


No comments:

Post a Comment