Thursday 10 June 2021

Launch and garden progress

 

Rick and I biked part of the Simcoe to Brantford rail trail last week. It had been a while since we did this section, near Waterford, and everything was lush and green, providing shade on a warm day.

Just as we returned to the cars we saw this large Snapping turtle beside the trail.

It didn't move, while I took pictures
Such a weird looking creature

After a weekend of, very hot, gardening at Nicola and Dave's, I returned to more flowers in my own garden. Last year, faced with a property of grass and shade trees, I threw myself into procuring plants and shrubs and digging flower beds (I use the term "digging" loosely as I usually had to use a pick-axe on the clay soil). So many garden books and blogs recommend have a diagram of your garden so you can keep track of what is planted where and note what needs splitting or moving at the appropriate time. I have never done this and don't know anyone that has, but, I have to admit, I was in such a push to get flower beds last year, I am not sure what many of my plants are.

I had assumed that this was one of the ornamental grasses that I bought or transplanted from Nic's garden


but now it has these lovely little flowers.


One of the flowering shrubs. I have no idea what it is called, most of the tags came off during the winter, but I love the coloured leaves and contrasting buds? berries?

I bought a regular Holly last year and this spring bought this variegated variety.

I think I transplanted this blue Spiderwort from my garden at Long Point

I recently bought a pink one too. They are native to eastern North America and have many medicinal uses.

The bees did their pollinating job and I actually have fruit on my little apple tree. I will be very surprised if I actually get apples off it in its first year here.

Salads for lunch and dinner and I still can't keep up with the lettuce, chard and kale.

Rick always asks if there is a project that I would like help with. My answer; "there are always projects!". This weeks was to start the stepping stone path from the back steps to "The Edge"

The highlight of the week was Caleidoscope's launch. Racing is now on the horizon.

Moving from her winter location

to the boat lift, watched by the launch team of Mark, Dave, Rick, Dieter, Angie and myself

Then these items all needed to be attached to the top of the mast


Which took long enough

that I had time to take photos of the resident geese.

The weeds are just a bit too deep and they are just a bit too buoyant so they paddle frantically in the air with their feet.

Friends don't let friends fall overboard while tightening the backstay.

Mast upright and loosely rigged and Caleidoscope slid into her slip where we all had our first beverage of the season aboard. 

This just in...........

This mornings solar eclipse. Photo by Rick.


No comments:

Post a Comment