Thursday 3 June 2021

Rock Point - birds in flight and macro photos

 

I couldn't get a decent shot of the full moon at night but luckily had taken one at dusk to test the zoom capacity of my camera.

I have yet to find a camera setting

for sunset photos, that I am happy with.

Rick and I drove to Rock Point Provincial Park for an afternoon walk. Just the other side of Dunneville it is 40 minutes away, the same distance as driving to Long Point to walk. This time the park was open and free (weekdays, all summer!)

The beach is a mixture of sand and stones

Round a rocky headland


there's a more secluded beach


Both of us had our cameras with us and we both struggle with catching birds in flight.

The gulls and terns gave us ample opportunity to practice.

Caspian Tern,

they breed along the north shores of Lake Erie and Lake Ontario and winter along the coast of the Gulf of Mexico.

There were both gulls with black on their bills

and some with red. A quick internet search and I decided gulls were too confusing and the bill colours could just be their age or breeding status.

But all were fishing.

Around the next headland and we were in the fossil area

and I discovered the "macro focus" setting on my camera

which would allow me to take a photo with the lens literally touching the fossil. The only problem was the shadow then cast by the camera.

So then I used that setting while we walked back

along the trails

with

every

plant

I saw, along the way.

i had to switch it back quickly to  get the shot of a Barn Swallow on her nest under the eaves of the washroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment