Saturday 17 July 2021

Berries and babies

This is a busy time for freezing fruit. The strawberry season was short lived, due to rain, and although I didn't find the time to pick, I did get some from the local farm and freeze them. Next came cherries;

The ladder was very sturdy which was a good job

 
because the best cherries were up at the top of the tree.


The  picking was so easy that I ended up with 6 quarts and no way to pit them. So they didn't get frozen, I gave away some and ate the rest.

My regular blueberry picking spot has been sold and the bushes all pulled up (I am still grieving) so this year it was Powells Blueberry Patch and this was the welcoming committee.

Lots of fruit. I was there on the first day of public picking.

One container was $20 but 2 were $30. I had no trouble picking 2.

And the goodbye committee.

I found out about the local "Cherry Factory" where I picked the sweet cherries. Machines are used to shake the trees and collect the sour cherries. They are then cooled (to make them easier to pit), pitted and packaged in large buckets. I bought a 14lb bucket and Nicola and I shared and froze them into containers. Aside from making and freezing apple sauce in the fall I have finished my fruit freezing for the year.

Young tree swallow.


While getting the photo of the Swallow I heard a terrible ruckus and realized that it was a very angry Red Squirrel chattering away and swishing his tail at Rasta, who was standing in the doorway, also looking angry and swishing HIS tail. Not sure what the fight was about but it went on for about 20 minutes.

All of that and fighting with his fish is exhausting, but the fish also makes a pretty good pillow. Photo by Nicola.

Chris, Jason and Cigi arrived on Saturday along with Kristen, Noah and Leo. It was a lovely day so swimming was on the agenda.

So much paraphernalia for two babies.

Even with all the gear, Cigi got a sunburn.

For Christmas I gave Chris and Jason 2 nights glamping at EcoAdventures with me babysitting. I bought in reinforcements; Nicola and Dave. Even with 3 of us it was tiring, but fun.

Dave held "sitting unassisted" boot camp.

And some "standing" training.

Of course lots of baby pictures


Part of our daily routine, watching the birds. Photo by Nicola.

No comments:

Post a Comment