Thursday 22 July 2021

Bruce Trail - Map 18, 7th line to 5th line.

With restrictions easing up Nicola and I booked a hotel in Orangeville and started on the Hockley Valley part of the Bruce Trail.

This area is very well organized with well marked, off road parking lots and good signage.

 
There were also a number of plaques to people who had donated land to the Trail. Personally I think there should be more benches


especially with the lovely views.

This was a trail with a variety of topography.

It was 30degrees plus the added effects of high humidity

and, in spite of drinking lots of water, I found I was struggling going up hills, sometimes lying down to get my heart rate back down.

Through an extensive Sugar Maple forest with the collection hoses like a web strung between the trees.

Lying down got me close to the creatures (maybe an Eight Spotted Forester Moth Caterpillar)

and fungi (this may be a Vermillion Waxcap,  mushroom identification on the internet is a bit vague)

We hiked to the highest point of the Bruce, in this area, with me stopping frequently on the up hills and Nicola going carefully on the down hills (sore ankle).


Very relieved to see this sign for the steep downhill trail to the car (good for me, bad for Nic)

Into Nic's car, picked up mine, icecap from Tims and a hot bath at the hotel revitalized us enough for dinner on Boston Pizza's patio.

Hiked from 10am to 2pm, 10km. Longest one we had done in a while.


No comments:

Post a Comment