Tuesday 1 April 2014

Paris 2014 - Day 7, laundry and the neighbourhood

Aimee and Greg left this morning after coffee and croissant at the local café. I saw them off and then returned to the apartment to finish doing the laundry that Aimee had put in. We have a very well equipped apartment; washer, drier and dish washer, "all mod cons". I grabbed the bottles that needed to be put into the recycling and headed out with my shopping bag.
This is a recycling receptacle that is in the centre of our boulevard. They are scattered
around in Paris and, as far as we can tell from the faded and ripped stickers on the sides,
take glass and plastic bottles only.
I walked up to the next street which is a large retail area and did some souvenir shopping and picked up some salmon for dinner at the fishmongers.
The choice at the fishmongers is amazing. There is an iced 30 foot counter of fish, mostly whole,
then tables scattered along the sidewalk with a variety of other seafood. This was just one of three
displaying shellfish.
On the way home I discovered an art supply store and couldn't resist buying some ink brush pens, thinking I could sketch with them like the black pens I currently use. After lunch I took my sketching stuff and turned left out of our front door. Up to this point we have always turned right and headed up toward the main intersection and the train/metro station.
The boulevard of Ave Rene Coty. In the week I have been here the trees have started to
 leaf out and more of the bushes are in flower. Daffodils are pretty well done.
Further up the Avenue the buildings are more modern, look to be built in the
50s, 60s 70s. Glad we are located in the old section
The view out of my bedroom window. Dates over the doors indicate most of the buildings
were built in the 1800s.
The park 2 blocks from our apartment.
I walked around the park in the sun and warmth. Although not crowded it was certainly a well used park with large areas of grass, mature trees and flower beds being tended. People were jogging, walking dogs, sitting on the benches and lying on the grass.

The RER B rail line goes through the park but as it is below ground level you are not
aware of it until on the bridge going over it. 
Sunbathing in the park.
I was down to my T-shirt sitting on a bench, in the sun, sketching. The ink brushes didn't work well for sketching but did for zentangling.
It was a relaxing day after the extensive sight seeing with Greg and Aimee and allowed me to get a feel for the neighbourhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment