Tuesday 31 January 2017

Mallorca Day 1 - Palma

I left home at 11am and Simon drove me to the airport. Flew Air Canada to Zurich and managed to doze off and on for about 2 hours. I had a 6 hour lay over in Zurich and alternated between trying to sleep on uncomfortable seats and walking the shopping concourse. Do we really need that many shops for purses and perfume? At 12:50 I flew Edelweiss Air (I wasn't sure about an airline named after a little, white, alpine flower but it turned out to be excellent) for 1 1/2 hours to Palma. We flew in from the North and it looked lovely, flying in along a green valley with fruit trees with the mountain range on the right. I am looking forward to exploring.
I took a taxi to my hotel, checked in and then went for a walk (I read the best thing you can do to adjust to a time change is to get outside).
I am just 2 blocks from the beach which is skirted by a road, a walking path and a bike path.
I can imagine this just packed in the summer time!
A protected bay, perfect for paddleboarding (he is wearing a wet suit though)
No waves and a light breeze also made it perfect for windsurfing and
a small sailing class. That's an overturned Laser on the right. I felt badly for that student. I watched as I walked and the boat was upside down more than it was right side up with the zodiac buzzing around, shouting instructions I imagine. I'm sure Daniele remembers a similar day with George in our Laser.
I kept walking, past a marina,
past a fishing boat cove and beach,
and around a headland to see that Palm extends around the next bay too. That's were the cruise ships dock.
At that point my fitbit vibrated that I had done 10,000 steps and I thought that was a good enough excuse for a glass of wine. I found a beach side bar (the Flip Flop), ordered a glass of the house red and continued to watch the various water sports, dog walkers, joggers and bicyclists. The waiter greeted me in German and switched to English when I responded in Spanish (I don't want to think about what that means). He said most tourists this time of year are German and then some English. I only heard German being spoken at the other tables.
I ordered a light supper of tapas (Prawns, olives, tomato and mozarella) and another glass of wine and watched the sun go down.
The waitress started to put blankets out on the backs of all the chairs so that we could wrap up and continue to watch the evening descend on the bay.
I have just managed to synch the fitbit and it indicates that I got 2 hours sleep in the last 24 hours. I knew that already. I am going to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment