Thursday 14 May 2020

Yippee! Out of quarantine!

The last couple of days of quarantine were spent doing much the same as the previous 12.

In the garden. This exotic
looking plant
is just a Horse Chestnut, ready to leaf out.

Bird watching. Chickadees and Nut Hatches are back.
Squirrel watching. They think they own the place and chatter angrily at me whenever I am walking around the property.
Watching TV. It was very weird to watch the Voice with the judges and contestants using Microsoft Teams and staying in their own homes. Kelly Clarkson with a glass of red wine that she used to cheers a good performance.

On the Internet. I found a Face Book post by Dominique of one of my patterns ready to be shipped to a customer. Very professional looking.

Rug Hooking. One of my three "Ladies do Coffee" is done. The second one just needs the window and bar behind her done and the third needs her hat and shopping bag and the background stuff.

And then today, I actually got into the car and drove out of the driveway!!! Muttering to myself "stay right, stay right". It feels like forever since I last drove and it is 41/2 months since I last drove on the right.

The first stop was the feed store to get more sunflower seeds. Yep, that's a squirrel trying to get into the feeder in the background.
Next stop; Hometown Plants Garden Centre. I had a list but I also just wandered through the greenhouse because it felt so good to be there.

Tomatoes, Rosemary, Kale, Lettuce. For the pots on the posts on the porch, Portulaca and Lobelia. For the pots on the beach side deck, Geraniums (I finally threw out the ones that had been growing in them for the last 8 years). I forgot to buy the bush bean seeds (I will have to go back).
Then I drove up to the farm where I usually get asparagus but it was closed. I am hoping that it was just because it was cold last night and the plants spears didn't grow much. I hope it isn't because of problems getting their seasonal workers. I have been reading about the rules for their isolation and accommodation due to the virus and some farmers just can't afford to bring them in.
Driving back into the village I saw this carpet of Trillium

and had to stop to take pictures.

Then it was a quick stop at the grocery store, check the mailbox on the way back and ferry everything into the house before going for a walk along Beach Ave. Along the way I noticed a little bird repetitively darting off a branch and then returning to it. It had rusty stripes down its side and I thought to myself "probably called something like a rufus sided warbler".

I looked it up, it was a Chestnut Sided Warbler. This is not my picture, its off Wikepedia, I didn't have my camera with me and he was probably too fast for me to get a decent picture of him anyway. They winter in Central America. Poor thing, having to deal with the cold now.


Guest Photographer; Rob Woods, Cyprus.
Jimmy sent me these pictures from a walk that he and Rob took.

They went on the Pine Bay walk. The grasses are really brown now. Everyone there is complaining about the heat.
To the little chapel that was closed when I visited it.
Cyprus is loosening some of its restrictions, so it was open and this is the interior.
Back passed the goat farm.
In Cyprus now you can go to the beach to swim but not to sunbath. You can go to the hairdresser. You can leave your house up to 3 times a day and walk further afield than when I left. I think the restaurants are opening too.
Kay commented that she enjoys the time "between the fireplace and the fans", best of all. They are now needing to use fans and then it will be the air conditioner.
I agree, March and April were definitely the best weather. Windows could be open during the day. You didn't need the heaters on. It wasn't too hot to walk. There was little rain but there was still some. Plants were thriving. Sitting outside was comfortable.




No comments:

Post a Comment