Sunday 13 September 2020

Planting the new patio

All of the plants that I bought last weekend were for the front of the house; shrubs along the fence and by the road and plants around the area that will be a small patio.

Under a thin coating of top soil the ground here is clay.

After some frustrating hole digging with a shovel, I went out and bought a pick axe. Much more effective but harder on my back.


I can see the gardens and the bird feeders from the front room and Rasta and I have been entertained

by the birds


(Goldfinches, Sparrows, Chickadees, Rose breasted Nuthatches, Blue Jays, Mourning Doves, Cardinals and a Pigeon)

and a very cute


and cheeky, little red squirrel

who tried unsuccessfully to get up to the feeders

but settled for

what he could find on the ground.

When I moved in, 2 months ago,

the bluff was covered in flowers. They have all, now, gone to seed, except for Goldenrod and Asters.

The area is now populated by flocks of nondescript, little, seed eating birds.

The only ones|I recognize are Wrens but they may be eating bugs off the seeds.

There's also the occasional Monarch cruising by, lighting briefly on the Goldenrod (I will have to plant some Milkweed) before continuing on their way. Always Westward.

No comments:

Post a Comment