Friday 8 February 2013

February snow storm at Long Point

To take a short detour from memories of California, the snow overnight and all day today reminded me that if your warm, safe, don't have to go anywhere, have plenty of food and drink (and a generator on the back deck), Ontario in the winter can be beautiful. We had planned to drive up to Collingwood today for our annual visit to Cyndy and Jim's place and our annual ski with Cyndy on the property across from theirs. Sensibly Jim called this morning and questioned the intelligence of the four of us taking to the roads. So we had the retired equivalent of a "snow day".
Slate grey water and sky

George shovelled and I skiied in the Provincial Park. It was more of a slog than a ski. It was so deep that I couldn't see the tips of my skis and it was all so white that I couldn't see dips or hills (not that there really are any hills on Long Point). I was tired and sweaty after just half an hour but decided that was enough for my first ski of the season.
Another reason that the old fashioned wooden snow fences are nicer than
the new orange, plastic ones - snow sticks to them.

This is only the second time we have had skiing weather at The Point, since we moved here. Usually, even if there is enough snow, the wind blows it into deep drifts and leaves the sand bare. Needless to say sand is not great for skiing. But today was lovely.

The lake from the Provincial Park
High Bush Cranberry berries covered  with snow

1 comment:

  1. Looks lovely- but I wish the weather cooperated ! Miss you
    Cyn ox

    ReplyDelete