Thursday 27 October 2016

Backus woods again, with Aimee.

I walked part of this trail last year when I was "in training" for the Inca Trail. When Aimee mentioned that she needed to get out and walk more (as do I!) it was the first place I thought of.
I took a picture of the trail system so we could refer to it if needed although last time I was here there were excellent maps at every intersection. Aimee however did get lost with a map, and a compass, in Rome, so the photo  was insurance.
We both had our trekking poles, cell phones and jackets, granola bars, water (you'd think we were going to be gone for "days and days"). The weather was cool but clear and there was rain in the forecast for the afternoon. It was lovely.
The meadows we went through first had a lacey look created by
the seeds of a variety of plants.
The area is managed by the Nature Conservancy of Canada
and I remember when the farmers fields were being "naturalized" and planted with native species.
But now it just looks natural.
After the meadows its into the woods.
The great thing about walking with Aimee is that she is as "into it" as I am, stopping to
observe and comment that the ground is covered by red and orange maple leaves here, but just back there the tree dropped yellow leaves and up ahead they are copper and bronze from an oak tree.
Wondering, out loud, what these small shrubs are with the black berries and leaves fringed in red?
Identifying the work of a very industrious woodpecker.
Noticing a large mushroom that I couldn't even see until I was almost upon it
and enjoying the sculpturing of the dead tree roots that reminded us both of the driftwood on the beach.
We walked about 5 km, up and down, woods, a creek and meadows. We felt we had earned the lunch at the deli in Port Rowan, even the brownie (Aimee) and the butter tart (me).
Aimee "shared the wealth" of a giant Puffball she had been given.
I battered it with egg and cornmeal (I didn't have the breadcrumbs that the recipe called for) and pan fried it in olive oil and butter. It was delicious but not as flavourful as regular mushrooms. I made the rest into mushroom soup.

No comments:

Post a Comment