Thursday 10 November 2016

Fall: for hiking and hooking.

The fall chores are pretty well done, thanks to Christine and Jason looking after the heavy stuff. So now its time for fall leisure activities.
The snow fence is up as is the plywood wall. It blocks my view this year but hopefully will do a better job of protecting the cottages from the piles of sand mixed with snow that blows across the lake and beach.
The kiters love the windy fall days though.
These guys are crazy.
For me its time to take advantage of the lovely temperatures and lack of bugs and walk in the woods. I have been back a number of times to walk different trails in the Backus Tract (see previous post when I walked one with Aimee).
Lots of reading material in large signs and
small information boards.
I was very happy to find that
this maple sugar shack
had an unlocked outhouse.
The striking reds and oranges that Aimee and I saw have given way to yellows and golds
and more recently rusts and coppers.
Still some green,
some weird looking blossoms
and equally weird looking
fungi.

The Backus Tract, named after the Backhouse family (they changed their name) who donated most of it, after they had logged it for their grist mill, spans 2 concessions, has 3 parking lots on the edges and many trails to choose from. It is quiet and peaceful. In the last 2 weeks, walking there, I have only ever seen one other person. The birds are up high in the canopy (except for the grouse that Aimee and I scared up from almost below our feet) and the only sign of animals are the deer tracks in the sandy meadows.
Back at home I have been rug hooking:
I finished this, "Windy Beach Doodle", that I started at Apps Ridge at the end of October. It is now in a store in Port Dover.
And I finished this, "Attic Treasures" designed by Jane McGown Flynn, that I started at the beginning of October at the McGown Training. Although its not the kind of piece I would normally do (7cut) or my usual colours, I enjoyed hooking it and rather like it. I think I am going to try and figure out how to make it a fire screen and keep it.
Rasta, my rug hooking companion, has taken to sleeping in my big project bag
and in my hoop.
You'd think with all the wool around he could find someplace more comfortable.

No comments:

Post a Comment