Sunday 20 November 2016

Baja California - La Paz, Dia de la Revolucion

Had a lazy day today. Managed to sleep in (8:30) which is unusual for me these days, must have been all yesterdays walking. Shower (which involves turning on the hot water heater first, waiting 15 mins and then turning it off again when done), some hand washing, coffee and breakfast took me to about 11am. Because of yesterdays walking and wanting to ease myself into dealing with the heat, I decided to take it easy and go for a drive.
I thought I would take a look at the beaches south of the city as they are supposed to be beautiful. Drove down to the malecon and along the waterfront. There were a lot of people about and many in red, white and blue, some with uniforms on. The traffic ground to a halt and police were directing cars up into town as the road was blocked off. I decided to avoid this snarl and turned back, thought I would see if there were any beaches to the north of the city.
I drove out beyond the grocery store I had been to, through block after block of "box stores", avoided the turn off for the aeoropuerto , along a stretch of highway with small scale retail and tiny outdoor cafes ( some just stools next to a van with an awning) and finally onto an open road.
!
Occasionally a car came the other way. Occasionally a car passed me. I drove along for about 20 minutes and then realized I had forgotten my water bottle on the kitchen counter and I didn't know where this road went or how long it would take to get there. I turned around!
I was on the other side of the bay from La Paz and had glimpses of water and the city but could always see the Sierra de la Laguna, faded, in the distance.
American Kestrel. No other sign of life, except of course the omnipresent Turkey Vultures.
When I got home, an e-mail from Dale told me that it was the Dia de la Revolucion, and that there was a parade today (yep, saw the vestiges of it) and that Monday would be a holiday with government buildings and banks closed.
Another e-mail asked if the house was like the one in Merida, walled, so here are some pictures:
This is my little rental car, the wall and the gate. The house is on a quiet little cul de sac with about 8 houses on it. I am woken in the morning by doves rather than traffic, lovely.
The courtyard to the left of the entrance gate, where I read and have my glass of wine in the afternoon, when its too hot to be out and about.
The courtyard to the right of the entrance gate. I watched a little lizard sit and sun himself under the table this afternoon.
I love the ornate front door.

No comments:

Post a Comment