Saturday 29 April 2017

Cobourg - OHCG 2017 Annual Meeting and Show

Friday I met Pam, Heather and Sue in Paris and Pam drove us, and a van full of hooking and luggage, to Cobourg. We set up the J.J Ruggers display and then went downtown for lunch and a little shopping. Back at the hotel we met up with Pat, Peggy and Michelle for some hooking and then out to eat at a Spanish restaurant.
After a buffet breakfast and the business meeting we went to the Community Centre for the show and to shop at the vendors there.
Having recently organized my "hooking room" I know how much wool I have and therefor shopped less than usual. The vendors make their wares very tempting with luscious colours of varieties of materials along with hooking equipment and patterns.
The two friendship rugs that had traveled across the province last year were displayed.
There was a display of old patterns
and old rugs.
but most of  my time was spent walking around the displays admiring the work of a province of rug hookers.
Such variety

and some award winners. This one for Primative.
Multicut
Alternative fibres and techniques
Ontario Craft Council
Oriental

I believe that the names of the winning artists are on the OHCG website.
Unfortunately the system to identify the pieces and their producers is cumbersome and time consuming to use so I didn't take the time to make note of the artists. When I know who did the piece I will give them credit.
This Paris, Ont, streetscape was hooked by Pam Watkins,

this pennant by Heather Davidson
and this large rug in the theme display, "My Ottawa" by Pat Lawson.
I am just going to post a selection of the pieces that caught my eye. I took too many pictures to include them all.
I love the rope and anchors border.
Interesting leaves poking into the frame from the bottom and tree creeping out of the frame at the side.
Made me smile. Part of an Images of Canada display.
Unusual choice of pastel coloured bubbles and birch trees.
This piece was beautifully done.
The theme exhibit, "Images of Canada" was the best I have seen in a long time. This one by Trish Johnson.
The rocks and water so realistically rendered.
Made me want to sit on that dock.
This was entered in the Alternative fabrics and techniques and had some felting as well as hooking.
It was challenging to find a Rowan Award winner (we all get to vote on that) as there was no rug that truly stood out from the rest but there were quite a few that were creative and well hooked and deserving of the award. I finally made my choice though second guessed myself every time I walked around.
A group of us went back downtown for lunch and to look at another rug show but that is for the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment