Saturday 26 March 2022

Return to Spring

 Our early pick up meant that we were at the airport before the crowds and breezed through check in (managed to get seats beside each other this time) and security and had time for breakfast and a walk around the airport before boarding. The flight was not full so we had a row to ourselves. Strong headwinds meant the return flight was over 8 hours. I watched Dune, Best in Show and read. The arrival process was also a breeze though Aimee was picked for a random Covid test. We shared a taxi to our respective offspring's homes to pick up our cars.

The trip was perfect for a two week break in a warmer climate but I would not go there for a longer stay. I am sure there are still unspoiled areas, perhaps further inland, but we certainly saw no evidence of the little fishing villages along the coast that George and I had seen 15 years ago. Tourism has taken over and the coast is lined with hotels, apartment buildings and summer homes. The beaches however are still lovely, as are the people.

When I left it was cold and piles of snow lined the roads and driveways. 

I returned to misty mornings,

 
ducks on the lake and no snow.

A brief warm spell let me hang out laundry


and Rick and I attached hinges to the old cottage windows to make a cold frame out of the vegetable bed. I have added compost and sheep manure and will sow kale, chard and lettuce after the soil has warmed for a couple of weeks.

Then it got cool again and I had to prepare for the onslaught (next blog).

No comments:

Post a Comment