Tuesday 25 February 2014

Palm Springs - Last Day

How to spend my last day? Well yesterday was pretty lazy and tomorrow will be dominated by sitting and standing in line: at the airport, on the plane, at the airport. I decided to go for another hike so I drove, again, out to the Coachella Valley Preserve. This time I added a bit of the Moon Country Trail to the McCallum Trail. I was there about an hour earlier than last time and found it to be even busier (smart people hike in the morning here).
I started out through the oasis and up the wash and then branched out on to a different wash, up the canyon to the South of the trail I took last time. There was nobody on this trail and I felt as if I really was hiking in the high desert.
The footing in the wash is pretty loose and gravely, makes for slow going.
I hiked up the wash and then followed the next loop of the trail up to Vista Point. There were panoramic views up there and nobody else. There was also a lovely breeze. It almost lured me in to climbing up higher but from there I could see how far I had to go to get back to the oasis so decided that was enough for the day. Besides they state a half way rule here; if you are half way through your water supply (and I was), you turn back.


I walked down to McCallum Pond Oasis because I wanted some shade before I started back.
It was lovely, cool and quiet, with just the sound of birds rustling in the palm skirts.
In total I probably walked about 3 and a half miles but the footing was rougher than last time and part of it was up hill so I felt like I had had a pretty good workout.
I picked up a sandwich to eat on the plane home and came home to pack and swim (not necessarily in that order).
You have to know your palms around here. On Monday I drove out on 1000 Palms Canyon Drive and came home on Date Palm Drive. There is also East Palm Canyon Drive and South Palm Canyon Drive (they are not the same road) as well as a city called Palm Springs, one called Palm Desert and one called Thousand Palms. You also have to know your celebrities. Today I drove on Dean Martin Drive, Dinah Shore Drive and Frank Sinatra Drive. On the way I crossed Gerald Ford Drive and Bob Hope Drive.
This has been a lovely respite from the cold, snowy and windy winter we have had in Ontario and I can't thank Eve enough for the invitation and hospitality.

No comments:

Post a Comment