Friday 20 March 2015

Ceret - always something happening.

Ceret is a small town. Population is listed as about 7, 500 in 2011. But there is always something going on here. Today and tomorrow there is a conference on Des Forets Catalanes. This involves a movie, speakers, various locations with photographs of the diversity of the forests and the creatures living there and an exhibition of eco friendly building projects (I think, as I'm translating that from a French programme).
I have seen cork trees after they have been harvested and when they have grown back their
bark. I have seen the stacks of cork drying out in the forest. But I have always wondered
how exactly it worked. At one of the exhibits there was this huge piece of cork and a photo
of how it was peeled off the tree.
There will be classes this weekend at Mas de Nagarede on how to dance the Sardanes, the
Catalan folk dance. I'm not going to participate, I'd rather watch and enjoy the music and I'd
have to buy espadrilles.
I'm tempted just to go and check out the class as it is in this beautiful building.
I've also seen notices this weekend advertising a yard sale at the arena and a women's rugby game. Mum also saw a concert advertised at the Salle de Union this weekend. Never a dull moment.
Early in the holiday I did a post on the canal for d'arrosage, to irrigate garden plots and agriculture. As I have walked around I have seen the channels, dry, with drifts of dried leaves and garbage. The last couple of days we have noticed water running down the gutters of the old town so I went to check the canals.
Somewhere, someone opened the gates. The irrigation canals are full. Everywhere you walk, if you
listen carefully, you can hear the sound of rushing water.
Divided to supply different areas of town.
A complicated system of metal gates, pipes and sub channels supply
a network of backyard vegetable gardens and stand alone garden plots. It is amazing how much
produce is grown behind cement walls and hedges. I have seem more work put into vegetable
gardens than flower gardens here.
We had coffee at Le Pablo this morning and I decided to photograph every art gallery on my short walk back to the house. I have been curious about the term atelelier as many of the art galleries use this label. Perhaps "workshop", perhaps "studio".
This one is truly a gallery, one artist, his wife mans the shop. The room to the left has paintings of
landscapes and local architecture.The room to the right is portraits of musicians while playing.
Although not to my taste, the expressions and postures are beautifully executed.
At this point, this is only open on Saturday mornings as it is on a market street. Hand made
ceramics, small and large (garden decorations).
I've not seen this one open but the window looks like it has stuff similar to a stall
in the market that has witches and other fantasy creatures.
This has also never been open, while we have been here, but I've seen his work on prints
and cards in other stores in town.
Not been open but I love the painting on the rough wood, almost like barn board.
On the main street, just off Place de la Republique. He also sells art supplies and
does framing.
As there were dark grey clouds threatening rain I decided on an "urban hike" today and set off through a residential area just up Rue D'Espagne. I passed the  Atelier Municipaux  (Ah ha, Atelier must mean workshop). Well when I got home and looked it up; it means workshop or studio. My first guess was right after all.
That irrigation system is quite a feat of engineering. It goes on a viaduct over a ravine
just outside of town
and, after servicing that (rather upscale) area  is piped across the main road
and carries on down hill to supply lower Ceret and the next village.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment