Wednesday 11 March 2015

Ceret - Birding at Parc Natural dels Aiguamolis de l'Emporda

Right after breakfast today we made a picnic and headed off for Spain. Crossed at Le Perthus, turned left at Figueres and followed the signs for the Costa Brava (Northern most coast of Spain on the Eastern side). We were looking for a birding area that Mum and Dad had come to before. Took some wiggling around, narrow roads, little towns (of course on the way back we found the good road, direct route) but we found it.
When we drove into the parking lot we were greeted by the clacking of the storks nesting around the entrance. We paid our 5 Euro per car, had our picnic in the sun and then split up as Mum and Dad were more interested in the bird watching and I was more interested in a good walk.
SILENCI - they're serious about their bird watching here!
I found the storks fascinating. They are huge birds and seemed unconcerned by us walking quite close under their nests.
On the ground they are taller and bulkier than the Sandhill Cranes I see
commonly at home.
But what I loved was the "clacking" sound that they make to each other. I hope the video below works so you can hear their conversation.
There are blinds next to the wetlands. I went into one and the door opened with a long "creeaaakkkk", 20 people turned from their cameras, with huge lenses pointed out to the marsh, and glared at me. I took a couple of pictures with my little "point and shoot" and beat a hasty retreat.
I didn't have binoculars with me so my bird watching was pretty limited (limited by my knowledge
base too). I saw swans, coots, mallards, large and small egrets, grey herons and had to have this bird
identified for me - a banded dove.
The observation tower that I was heading to.
The walking was easy, flat, actually rather boring after the foot hill hiking I have been doing. Before the marsh was protected farmers started to dig canals and drain areas for grazing.
 Aside from the pond and marsh areas there were also fields with horses and cattle.
Across the bay to the city of Roses. It was a "thigh master" climb up the observation tower
but the day was too hazy for good pictures.
On the way back, more stork pictures.
A row of grey herons.
At one blind I could see a large bird circling over the marsh. The other guy there was clicking away with his huge lens camera. I asked "qu'est-ce ces?" (not sure of my spelling) and he replied that it was a Bonelli Eagle. He was quite excited about it. Upon returning home I looked it up. It's considered endangered in Europe.
One last stork picture.
The park is large, there are lots of blinds and wooden observation platforms, paths are well maintained and well signed. It seems to be popular with serious birders and serious bird photographers. I walked about 6 km and Mum and Dad saw a bird they'd never seen before, a Garganey.
We headed out and stopped for a little shopping before going home. Gas is cheaper in Spain as is coffee in a café, and some groceries (like strawberries, so we got some)

No comments:

Post a Comment