Sunday 1 March 2015

Ceret - Toros and Ermitage de Saint Ferreol

Sunday morning is pretty quiet in Ceret. Last night the partying at Le France lasted until the early hours and then, while it was still dark out, we heard the street cleaning machines.

The same shot as last night but today, about 9am, no confetti/snow.
At 9 this morning, employees at Le France, cleaning the patio area and dumping garbage cans
full of empties into the recycling bins. Getting ready for the Sunday morning coffee regulars
(and a lot of them have beer or wine too) and the Sunday lunch crowd.

On a Sunday morning the boulangeries are open as are the butchers and the cafes but not much else. We needed yoghurt, milk and bananas for breakfast tomorrow and pasta if I could find it. I went for a supply run; Netto was closed, Carrefour was closed.
On the way back from the Carrefour I took this picture of the bull ring.
Not particularly attractive.
There is a store front with info re the bull fighting week in Ceret. Although
banned in Spain and controversial even in Catalonia, there is a celebration in Ceret with bulls
running through the streets and bullfights in the arena.
 
A photograph in the window.
In spite of the controversy, it has its supporters, just like Rugby.
Happy grandparent's day, the first year I qualify! To celebrate Mum bought me a Cyclamen at the market yesterday that I added to the pansies that I have bought each week, at the market.
It gives me pleasure to plant some colour outside our sliding glass door and
"garden" in February.
It rained all night and morning but cleared after lunch and was about 20 degrees so we drove up to Ermitage de Saint Ferreol. Across Pont De Diablo and turn left up a, not too, narrow winding road to hilltop above Ceret.
Built in the 13th Century by Benedictine monks it is a lovely peaceful spot on
a small hilltop
with lovely views all around
including, of course, Canigou.
Mum and I sketched. There is an abundance of old stone walls, wooden shutters and doors, tile roofs, old steps and a low wall around the whole property that you can sit on to sketch.
Last time I was here I sketched this façade. I love that, rather than a clock tower,
there is a sun dial on the front of the chapel.
The chapel itself was closed when we arrived so we sketched and Dad read on his tablet. A lovely peaceful place to hang out. Then a few more cars arrived and someone opened up the chapel. I guess on Sundays people come here. Most only stayed a short time and then drove away again. Some were walkers who had done the hike up from Ceret (I asked and was told it took nearly an hour)
Inside there is a wall of plaques thanking Saint Ferreol for healing and in two places
rows of crutches. I assume left by those who were healed.
Top of a beautiful old carved wooden altar back with seven statues
dated 1775.
I decided to take the hike back down and asked Mum and Dad to meet me with the car at the Devil's Bridge parking lot.
The first part of the path is very rocky and steep, like a dry river bed.
Every now and then lovely views through the trees.
A wrought iron cross, down the trail, in the middle of nowhere, with
the Ermitage on the hilltop behind.
This bicyclist past me at the top of the trail, then I walked past him as he had his back tire
off, replacing the inner tube, then he passed me again.
Look at what he was biking down, fou I think is the appropriate
French word.
Farther down the route came out of the woodland paths and on to farm tracks
between vineyards
and orchards.
Its such lovely and productive countryside I can understand the
"Urbanisation NON" slogan.
Mum and Dad were there to meet me at the bridge parking lot. It had taken me 50 minutes and I had been hurrying because I knew Dad wanted to get home and catch the Six Nations game (England lost to Ireland by the way)

No comments:

Post a Comment