Thursday 12 March 2015

Ceret - lunch at La Fontaine

We planned to lunch today at La Fontaine so I walked this morning, to work up an appetite. I did the Ventous route but the opposite way around to the way I usually go. Today that meant a 20 minute up hill walk at the start but the rest was easy.
We have had about a week of nice warm weather now and everything is reacting.
Roses are sprouting their early red shoots.
Trees are bursting into leaf.
Although most of the Mimosa has turned from yellow to beige and is nearly
done, there are  places (shaded, North facing) where it is still brilliant.
Grapevines, dandelions and Canigou.
Three years ago I was into sketching stone walls, every stone, shaded. At the beginning of this
trip it was tile roofs. Now its the wonderfully gnarled and textured old vines.
There were even more baby goats at the little farmyard but the owner was there and
this lovely "harlequin" border collie was doing his job, sitting quietly but barking if
I approached the fence. So, sorry Chris, no goat photos. 
A quick bath and change and I met Mum and Dad at La Fontaine restaurant in Place de Neuf Jets. It is Mums favorite restaurant and where we celebrated her birthday last time we were here.
Mum and I both serve this when having people to dinner but this is where we had it first.
Tomato and Mozzarella with anchovies. This was drizzled with a balsamic vinegar reduction. I'mgoing to have to try that


I had grilled duck, Mum had pork with a mushroom sauce and Dad had a steak. All were served with salad and fries. It was good but afterwards we all agreed that it wasn't as imaginative as before. Or as good as other places we have eaten this time.
Its still amazing that a chef can run a restaurant out of this tiny kitchen.
On the walk back, the library door was open as they were installing an art exhibition. We wandered in, curious.
This is the crisp modern library behind the historic façade on Place de la
Republique.
There's a nice outside reading terrace that Mum and I returned to with
our book and kobo later.
The exhibit included some traditional but impressive stained glass pieces. (This is a full
size room screen)
Some beautiful metal and stained glass sculptures.

Metal, stained glass and ceramic. I loved the springs for his dreadlocks.

Ballet themed paintings. This reminds me of a painting Chris did, that hung in her bedroom.

I will have to return to the library to get the names of the artists and add them on to this post.

No comments:

Post a Comment