Monday 27 July 2015

Long Point - another project and the first monarch.

I have a number of pieces of furniture that are showing their age. Some are from George's Mum's home, one from my Grandfather and a big project from a garage sale this spring.
This weekend I tackled this little bedside table. It has two drop leaves on the sides that weren't
in too bad shape but the main table part was looking pretty rough. This picture shows what it looked
like half done. I had started to stain the left hand side after giving the whole thing a rough sand.
Bob and Helen, next door, had suggested I try this product for the big garage sale project but it
couldn't tackle the water marks (nor could the gel stripper for that matter) but it worked
nicely on the little table.
This is what it looked like when finished and back in the spare bedroom.
In between working on that table, I glued a few places that needed to be secured on the garage sale table, glued a couple of stoppers to the underside to stop the legs when folding out for the leaves and tried the gel stripper. It went on OK, bubbled as the directions indicated it would but when I scraped it off it really hadn't taken much of the finish off and boy was it messy, smelly and started to burn my hand right through the towel I was holding to catch the scraped remains. I wont be using that product again and will try sanding next.
When we first bought this property, 15 years ago, we saw monarchs frequently. Last year I don't think I even saw one.
The Long Point Rate Payers Association distributed plants this spring to try and attract monarchs and provide them
with a food source. I got some but already had milkweed growing on the property. Today I saw a monarch on that
milkweed. Hopefully the sign of more to come.
Name of a sail boat seen at Toronto Island.

No comments:

Post a Comment