Friday 29 September 2017

Long Point water spout

Today has been a day of occasional rain and impressive thunderclouds rolling Eastward down the lake, creating waves that make it look like an ocean. I looked up at one point and saw 3 people on the beach taking pictures and just beyond them, a water spout forming. I went outside to point it out to them. They were from Saskatchewan and awed by the lake, wind and waves.
I dark tendril came down from the clouds, gradually stretching towards the water. The water below started to swirl and send up spray (even before the tendril from above had reached it). Gradually both ends crept towards each other and then joined forces. At that point I went inside for my camera.
I have seen water spouts before but they are usually just dark pillars between the water and the cloud, off in the distance.
This one was about half way between the beach and the horizon and moving East at considerable speed. In a sailboat you would not be able to outrun it!
It kicked up a huge amount of spray at the base and I could hear it roar over the sound of the wind.
And then, faster than it had formed,
it withered away again
into nothing.
It was fast and powerful and scary and fascinating.

1 comment:

  1. HOLY SHIT!! That is amazing! So glad the photos turned out.

    ReplyDelete