Thursday 4 April 2019

Lisbon - more Day 3

This church, turns out it was a monastery, overlooked the miradouro. San Pedro de Alcantara.
Inside; tiles
more tiles
and still more tiles, lining the walls of the chapel.

There were also inlaid coloured marbles on the walls

and a very subtly painted ceiling.

Down at the miradouro I was disappointed to find that they were doing some work on it. The edge was fenced off and all the statues were imprisoned at the end.
I could see across to the castle
and admire the mosaic work.



Further down the street I followed signs for a free exhibition, at the back of yet another church
This one, Sao Roque, was very ornate

with some unusual tiles
and a magnificent ceiling.

but I was more interested in the display, called Weaving Hope, of clothing made for the Virgin Mary statues in various churches in Italy and Portugal.
I have noticed in former travels, the statues, having their clothes changed.
Perhaps it is seasonal.
Some of them were labelled as being ceremonial
for when the statues are paraded through the streets.
Getting hungry, I walked down
what seemed like a thousand stairs

I found another of those weird little heads.
I ate at this restaurant and had my first "rip off" meal.
The guy at the entrance was very pleasant, the prices on the board there looked reasonable and the fish was cooked to perfection.
But the waiter was downright rude. I asked for a glass of wine and a glass of water, as I always do, and he told me that I could only have bottled water. That no restaurants in Lisbon will give you tap water. (I have eaten out 3 times here and always been given tap water when I asked for it!). Next he bought me bread, butter, olives, cheese and pate. I am used to this, they charge for all those things so you just indicate to the waiter what it is you want. I said I would just like the bread and butter and he grunted and left it all there. I ordered one of the "specials" off the board at the entrance (that's the word the guy used there) and the waiter said they were not specials just smaller portions and didn't include vegetables.
When the bill came I had been charged the equivalent of $5 for a slice of bread and a pat of butter (most restaurants here have the prices for those extras on the menu, usually a matter of 50 cents) and a "cover charge" of another $3. I did not tip! When I looked on tripadvisor to give them a bad review and warn others all the reviews duplicated my experience, some even worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment