Tuesday 2 April 2019

Lisbon - Day 3 - Castelo de Sao Jorge

A chocolate croissant with my custard tart this morning, I'm going to have to keep up the walking to burn my breakfast calories.
Waiting for the first bus of the day to come along I was glad I had looked at the weather forecast. Although it was going to be 20 it was currently 10, therefor t-shirt, long sleeve shirt and wind breaker.
The other routes use the traditional double decker, open roofed buses but for the castle route they have to use this smaller version. I was early enough that I was the only person on a lovely ride through narrow cobblestone, steep streets.
Somewhere on that trip I took a picture of this very ornate church entrance. I'm not sure I could find it again.
Nor the Lisbon Duck Store, but I'm not sure why I would want to.

St Vincent, the patron saint of Lisbon, he of the crows.
I disembarked at the same stop as the #28 yellow tram. The guidebooks indicate that this one has the most picturesque route and therefore there are always long queues and often standing room only on them. I think my little Hop on Hop off bus was probably just as good a trip.
Across the street was a Miradour and the sun was just burning off the dense fog over the river.
It was still a steep climb
and I felt as if I was being watched.

Beautifully rendered.
Then the laneway you expect

then the unexpected and then music ....

I haven't seen one of these since Paris.
Finish climbing, line up, buy a ticket and then your out onto a wide open space that surrounds the castle
Fabulous views
nice and clear now and warming up too.
With a careful analysis of columns in squares and green space I can figure out where I am staying.
There are the requisite cannon
and an extremely noisy flock of peacocks.
Its 10:30pm, I'm tired and I am not even half way through today's pictures but I will have to split the post up (again) and finish it tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment