Sunday 7 April 2019

Lisbon - Day 6 - Mosteiros dos Jeronimos, church

No more Hop on Hop off, the ticket ran out, so now I am on public transport.

Subway tiles, in the Rossio Metro station where I went to get my ticket.
I opted for an unlimited 24 hr pass as it was only 2 Euro more than a return ticket and it kept my options open. I had also read that buying a ticket on the bus or tram involved negotiating a ticket machine and having exact change.
Up the stairs and across the square and the #15 tram was waiting for me. Both the old wooden, San Fransisco style trams and the new electric double length trams (that look like buses) ply this route down to the river and then along it to Belem.
There's no mistaking where to get off, the monastery and church take up about a city block, huge and ornate.
The area was full of people, some in tour groups, and I headed for where there was a flag that said "Entrance". It was the entrance to the church (which was free) and the Monastery (that you needed a ticket for but couldn't get it there!)
Inside, the church is just as huge. With plain walls
a few small stained glass windows

ornate pillars
and beautiful stone, vaulted ceilings.


It was built to fulfill the promise of Portugal's king, Dom Manael, should Vasco da Gama return safely from hi inaugural voyage to India in 1498..
Vasco da Gama's tomb is here.

No comments:

Post a Comment