Thursday 4 April 2019

Lisbon - Day 4 - Cascais

It is Day 5 in Lisbon and I am starting posting about Day 4. I have just had a delicious and cheap meal, surrounded by locals at a restaurant on a side street, very close to my hotel. It was recommended by a local waiter and was absolutely marvelous, making up for my crummy experience the other night. I love that in spite of working in the tourist industry and having no long term connection with their customers some people are just kind and helpful.

I had decided to get a break from the city and take the Hop on Hop off out to Cascais (pronounced "Cash Quays)  today. The road went under the Aquaduto das Aguas Livres (Free waters), built in 1748 and it survived the earthquake.

We drove west from Lisbon, along the banks of the river Tegus , through Estoril and onto the Atlantic coast and Cascais
When we got there it was windy and drizzling and I decided it was not a day for a seaside resort and I would just take the bus back. But first the bus would sit there for half an hour so I took a quick walk and was able to find a lighthouse!
There was a peaceful little park with some nice buildings
and peacocks.
What is it with this area and peacocks?
The rest of the town was pretty well holiday homes, restaurants and bars but due to the weather I wasn't seeing it at its best.
This area was chosen for summer palaces by the royalty
so has its share of massive villas.

Lots of sandy beaches, many of them with surfing schools.
An ancient lighthouse on a sand bar where the river joins the ocean.
Actually a couple of lighthouses along this coast.
I followed the Volvo Ocean Race avidly last year. I was too late to see the boats in Cape Town and I was too early to see them in Cardiff
but I am wondering if at least a couple of the boats are in this dockyard in Lisbon.
Back in Lisbon and the more modern lamp posts also sport a galleon with 2 crows.
I got onto another bus line and headed back to the Belem area. I bought a ticket to the Coach Museum but as there was no cafe inside I walked across the street to

O Prado, full of locals having lunch.

What I ordered was white bean stew and rice. This was enough for two people and aside from Chorizo and a chicken sausage there were at least 3 other kinds of meat in there as well as cabbage, spinach, onion, carrot etc etc. The waiter showed off his languages by saying "I know a little ..... fill in the language" in English, Spanish, Dutch, German and Chinese. He said he knew a lot of Portuguese.

No comments:

Post a Comment