Thursday 11 April 2019

Lisbon - Day 7 - Museo Colecao Berardo

I am home now but need to complete my diary of the trip so I still have 2 more days to post.
It was still drizzly and cool so I went through the same routine as the previous day - next square over, down into the metro, buy an all day ticket and, up into the next square, walk over to the route 15 tram stop.

This time the first tram to come along was one of the old ones. I stood, hanging on to the loop from the ceiling getting bumped and bounced, as this tram was not nearly as smooth as the new ones.
The Belem Cultural Centre also houses the Berardo collection of contemporary art (1900 to 1960)

Pelas Janelas (1914) by Amadeo de Sousa-Cardoso. Each room held a particular style, era or artist group, work.
Tableau with yellow, black, blue, red and grey (1923) by Peit Mondrian. For the first time, I was just not in the mood. Nothing really grabbed me.
Fueilles Placees Selon les lois du Hasard (1937) by Jean Arp.  It was a learning experience as it clearly delineated the different styles and their chronological sequence. Also some sense of the countries they developed in.

Stringed Figure (1937-1976) by Henry Moore. There was a good mix of paintings, sculpture and 3 dimensional wall art.
Femme au mirior rouge, vert et jaune (1936) by Julio Gonzales. Many of the pieces were by artists that I didn't recognize.
La Touple (1956) by Hans Bellmer.
White Aphrodisiac Telephone (1936) by Salvador Dali. I never used to like Dali's work but as I have been exposed to more of it and gradually let go of my preference for realism I have come to really enjoy it. This was my favorite piece in the gallery.
One of the things I like about the 3 dimensional wall art is the way it changes as you walk towards, and around it. This was nails in wood.
Cacique (1983)  by Jesus Rafael Soto. I wonder how many times Mr Soto hit his thumb.
The last 2 rooms were Pop Art, divided into European and North American. Expansion Valise (1970) by Cesar.
Brillo Box (1964-68) and Ten Foot Flowers (1967) both by Andy Warhol.
Olds (1988-89) by Edward Ruscha.

Virnaburger (1965) by Mel Ramos.
Walking out of the gallery I was glad to see the weather had cleared as the next thing on my agenda would require some walking.
On one of the bus rides I had seen a building with a banner advertising the Photo Ark. I had read about this project somewhere and wanted to see if I could find it. I walked back past the Monastery and the Coach Museum. Stopped in for lunch at the little restaurant I had gone to before and it was so packed with locals that I had to have my sopa, pao e vinho tinto sitting at the bar.

No comments:

Post a Comment