Friday 8 October 2021

New Brunswick Trip - Day 9, Hooking and Kingsbrae Garden

 Unfortunately yesterdays fried clams did not agree with me and I was ill in the evening. Therefore I took it easy today, not wanting to be too far away from a washroom.

Rick went for a walk and I decided to ease myself back into watercolour painting with this nice easy view (hah)


Whether I am happy with the end result or not

it really forces me to look at lines and colour and shade, bright and dull. It requires total focus and I actually found that quite tiring and stopped when Rick got back.

The other difficulty with painting an actual scene was that not only did the light change during the duration of my sitting but also the tide changed and the spit of land that was visible at the beginning was no longer there when I stopped.

After a quick lunch - the smoked salmon on crackers with cream cheese was delicious (unfortunately it has to be kept refrigerated so I can't take any home) - we went into town.

"In the loop, beyond the hook" was hung and open at the Water Street Gallery of Sunbury Shores Arts and Nature Centre. I was not able to take photos but when I asked was told I could use the photos on the website. This one is actually from the brochure. It is Love Letter to the Farm by Logan Milne and is massive and impressive. Hooked with yarn, most of it quite thin.

Have some this will cool you down by Laura Kenney, mixed yarn and wool and the earth is needle felted. All of her pieces had humorous titles but spoke to social issues.

For more pictures and info on the artists go to

 https://sunburyshores.org/2021/09/28/in-the-loop-beyond-the-hoop/

We had been told that Kingsbrae Garden was closed but when I went and peered in the door a woman came out and told us that it was opening for the weekend, for members only, but if we didn't mind some gardeners tools still lying around, we were welcome to take a walk through - no admission.


She said it would take more than an hour to explore, which I doubted, but she was right.

There were formal gardens, cottage gardens, an orchard, cedar maze, a woodland trail,

a labyrinth,

animals,

multiple ponds,

sculptures and

lots of

flowers still

in bloom.

A 27 acre site, opened in 1998 on a donated estate. Home to 2,500 different kinds of shrubs, trees and plants. A lovely way to spend an afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment